Your Ticket to Travel. Discover Florence, Tuscany, Italy & Europe
Palio di Siena
Medieval Horse RaceAvailability good
Emerse yourself in the emotions of Siena’s world famous medieval horse race, Il Palio. As featured in the opening scenes of the James Bond film, ‘Quantum of Solace’, this high energy, emotionally charged race is an event not to be missed.
The traditions of the Palio, a festival in honour of the Virgin Mary, date back to the Middle Ages. It has existed in its present form since 1656, running twice a year on July 2nd (Palio di Provenzano) and August 16th (Palio dell’Assunta). Every year on these dates Siena comes alive with colorful tradition for four days filled with historical parades, flag throwing competitions, and banquets in anticipation of the big race round the town’s main square, Piazza del Campo.
The race is preceded by a splendid parade, Corteo Storico, before the jockeys take their positions and ride bareback round Piazza del Campo.
The anticipation and build up to the epic 90 second horse race
Be part of a festival that is still very much alive in daily life in Siena
• Round-trip transport by private bus
• Walking tour of Siena*
• Watch the Palio from Piazza del Campo
• Free time for lunch and to explore Siena
• FlorenceForFun Tour guides
* Note that the walking tour will include some of the key sights in Siena but is limited due to the crowds and the roads that are closed for the Medieval Procession that leads up to the Palio. The Medieval Procession runs through the streets of Siena and eventually into Piazza del Campo. You can get an up close look at the Medieval costumes and the different colours and symbols representing each Contrada.
Please wear sensible shoes – ballet flats, sandals or sneakers are suitable. There is no difficult walking but you will be standing for most of the day. It is important that you are comfortable.
We recommend that you check the weather forecast before the trip so you can dress appropriately. This trip will not be canceled based on the weather forecast except in the case that the weather would prevent us from safely reaching our destination.
You will need to have enough money for food (lunch, drinks and snacks) and any souvenirs you choose to buy. The prices in Siena are similar to Florence and there are a range of options including sandwiches, pizza by the slice, pasta, gelato, restaurants, etc.
FlorenceForFun officeVia Ghibellina 131/red, Florence
Opening hours: Monday to Friday
between 10:00am and 6:00pm.
Phone: (+39) 055 283 759
Cell: (+39) 328 7290848
Fax:(+39) 055 283 759
Facebook Page: FlorenceForFun